PRINT | E-MAIL
Col. Evan J. Kirkwood serves as the 152nd Operations Group Commander, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Reno, Nev. He is responsible to organize, train and equip two squadrons with over 140 aircrew and support personnel who are deployable worldwide in support of domestic operations and wartime commitments. He is a C-130 Evaluator Navigator and qualified Modular Airborne Fire Fighting (MAFFS) aircrew member.
Col. Kirkwood began his military career in 1994 as an Airman Basic serving in multiple enlisted career fields throughout the Mission Support Group. He received his reserve commission on November 21st 2003 through the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science, Knoxville, Tennessee. Upon commissioning as a Second Lieutenant, he earned navigator wings at Randolph Air Force Base, Texas in 2004. In 2011, after his upgrade to Instructor Navigator, Col. Kirkwood was hired as an Air Technician and served as Chief of Scheduling. He then progressed to become Chief of Weapons and Tactics and Evaluator Navigator in 2012. In 2015 Col. Kirkwood assumed the role of Chief of Current Operations, followed by Director of Operations for the 192nd Airlift Squadron. In 2015, he was selected as Commander of the 152nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron followed by Commander of the 152nd Maintenance Squadron in 2017.
Col. Kirkwood has amassed more than 3,172 flight hours, nearly 438 of which were flown in combat. Col. Kirkwood has multiple overseas deployments serving in Operations Southern Watch, Joint Forge, Coronet Oak, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, Operation New Dawn and Inherent Resolve. In 2012, Col. Kirkwood was selected as the Air National Guard Top Instructor Navigator of the year. Prior to his current position, he was the Commander of the 152nd Maintenance Squadron.
1995 Basic Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
1995 Air Force Personnel Specialist
1998 Air Force Computer Operator
1999 Noncommissioned Officer Prep Course, by correspondence
2000 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, by correspondence
2000 Associate in Science, Community College of the Air Force
2000 Air Force Computer Technician Course
2001 Bachelor of Science, Morrison University, Reno, Nev.
2003 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air Force Base, Tenn.
2004 Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
2007 Squadron Officer’s School, by correspondence
2011 Instructor Navigator Qualification, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
2012 CATS / MECOC, Advanced Airlift Tactics Training Center, St. Joseph, Mo.
2013 Air Command and Staff, by correspondence
2014 Humanitarian Assistance Response Training (HART), Nevada State Headquarters, Carson City. Nev.
2016 Accelerated Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, by correspondence
2017 Air War College, by correspondence
1. October 1995 – March 1996, Personnel Specialist, 152nd Airlift Wing, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
2. March 1996 – September 1997, Formal Training Assistant, 152nd Airlift Wing, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
3. September 1997 – November 2003, Computer Technician, 152nd Communications Flight, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
4. November 2003 – June 2010, C-130 Tactical Mission Navigator, 192nd Airlift Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
5. June 2010 – August 2012, Chief of Scheduling, 192nd Airlift Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
6. August 2012 – January 2013, Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 152nd Operations Support Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
7. January 2013 – January 2014, Chief of Current Operations, 152nd Operations Support Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
8. January 2015 – May 2016, Director of Operations, 192nd Airlift Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
9. May 2016 – November 2017, Commander, 152nd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
10. November 2017 – March 2019, Commander, 152nd Maintenance Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
11. March, 2019 – Current, Commander, 152nd Operations Group, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
Rating: Senior Navigator with more than thirteen years flying experience, rated instructor and evaluator navigator
Total Flight Hours: 3,172.7
Evaluator Flight Hours: 81.1
Instructor Flight Hours: 345.
Combat Flight Hours: 438
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal with oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and two oak leaf clusters
AF Longevity Service with oak leaf cluster
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 4 'M' devices and bronze hourglass
AF Training Ribbon with oak leaf cluster
NATO Medal with bronze star
2012 Air National Guard Top Instructor Navigator of the year
2013 Nevada Air National Guard 3rd Quarter and Annual Safety Award winner
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 21, 2003
First Lieutenant Nov. 21, 2005
Captain Nov. 21, 2007
Major Nov. 3, 2012
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 10, 2016
Colonel Oct. 13, 2020
(Current as of November 2020)