PRINT | E-MAIL
Col. Jacob L. Hammons is the Commander, 152nd Airlift Wing, Nevada Air National Guard, Reno, Nev. He commands four groups consisting of 13 squadrons and flights, and is responsible for the policy, programming and planning necessary to train and maintain the readiness for over 1,100 airmen. The Wing is tasked to provide tactical air delivery capability to the State of Nevada and combatant commanders, and to fight large scale aerial firefighting by employing the Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System.
Hammons is a 2000 distinguished graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. He graduated from Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas in 2002 and then served an operational tour in the F-15C Eagle at Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska. He is a command pilot with more than 3,100 hours in the F-15C, F-16, T-38C IFF and E-11A. He has flown over 500 combat hours in Afghanistan and has served as an instructor pilot, director of operations, and wing executive officer. He also was the Commander of Detachment 1, 29th Training Systems Squadron, 53rd Wing, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. Hammons is a C-130 pilot. Hammons was the Senior Advisor to the United States Air Force Warfare Center for Nevada Air National Guard. He was responsible for integrating Nevada Air National Guard support to develop innovative leaders and full spectrum capabilities through responsive, realistic, and relevant testing, tactics development and advanced training. He was also responsible for designing the requirements, infrastructure, and connectivity for the Virtual Test and Training Center.
Prior to his current position, Col. Hammons was the Vice Wing Commander of the 152nd Airlift Wing. Where he was the key advisor to the Wing Commander to provide leadership, management, manpower, equipment, and training during peacetime, in preparation to perform the wartime mission. He worked with the wing commander to direct policy and programming necessary to sustain the readiness of more than 1,100 Airmen wing-wide.
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Bachelor of Science, Basic Sciences, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2005 Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2009 Masters in Business Administration, Colorado State University, Fort Collins.
2010 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2018 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. August 2000 – December 2000, Assistant Scheduler (Awaiting Pilot Training), 9th Fighter Squadron, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
2. January 2001 – February 2002, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
3. May 2002 – December 2002, Student, F-15C Formal Training Unit, 95th Fighter Squadron, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
4. February 2003 – November 2005, F-15C Flight Lead, Assistant Chief of Weapons, Electronic Combat Pilot, 12th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska
5. December 2005 – March 2007, T-38C Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 435th Fighter Training Squadron, Moody Air Force Base, Ga.
6. March 2007 – July 2008, T-38C Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals Instructor Pilot, Wing Executive Officer, 434th Fighter Training Squadron, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
7. December 2008 – October 2011, F-16C Instructor Pilot, Academic Assistant Director of Operations, 64th Aggressor Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev. (Jan 2010 – May 2010, Information Operations Targeting Chief, J3IO, United States Central Command, Macdill Air Force Base, Fla.)
8. October 2011 – November 2014, F-16 Test Pilot, Chief Weapons Officer, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. (May 2013 – October 2013, Director of Operations, 430th Expeditionary Electronic Combat Squadron, Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan)
9. November 2014 – November 2015, F-16 Evaluator Pilot, Extended Training Service Specialist, Krzesiny Air Base, Poland
10. November 2015 – June 2016, Director of Operations, 57th Adversary Tactics Support Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
11. June 2016 – May 2018, Commander, Detachment 1, 29th Training Systems Squadron, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
12. May 2018 – June 2019, Senior Advisor to the USAF Warfare Center for Nevada Air National Guard, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
13. June 2019 – November 2019, Vice Wing Commander, 152nd Airlift Wing, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
14. November 2019 – Current, Wing Commander 152nd Airlift Wing, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: 3,100 including 586 combat hours
Aircraft flown: C-130, F-16C/D, F-15C/D, RAFALE, QF-4E, E-11A, T-38CIFF, T-6A, T-38C T-37B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with eight oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with star
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Training Ribbon
Distinguished Graduate, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
Distinguished Graduate, Squadron Officers School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 31, 2000
First Lieutenant May 31, 2002
Captain May 31, 2004
Major January 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2015
Colonel July 31, 2019
(Current as of November 2019)