PRINT | E-MAIL
Colonel David W. Manson is the Vice Wing Commander of the 152nd Airlift Wing at the Nevada Air National Guard (NVANG) Base in Reno, Nev. He functions as the key advisor to the Wing Commander to provide leadership, management, manpower, equipment, and training during peacetime, in preparation to perform the wartime mission. He works with the wing commander to direct policy and programming necessary to sustain the readiness of more than 1,100 Airmen wing-wide.
He enlisted in the Nevada Air National Guard in February, 1988 as an Airman Basic serving in the supply career field. The colonel received his commission in 1997 through the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science, Knoxville, Tenn. Upon commissioning as a 2nd Lt., as a Supply Officer, he was quickly transitioned to a Logistics Plans Officer in May of 1997. In 1998, he again transitioned into the Maintenance Officer Career field where he served for the next eleven years during which time he served in all flight and squadron command billets throughout the Maintenance Group. He also served as the Joint Director of Military Support for the Nevada Joint Force Headquarters J3 Operations Directorate. In this capacity, he directed the operations of the Joint Operations Center processes and procedures while providing situational awareness to senior Nevada National Guard staff during local, state, and federal domestic emergencies. As the 152nd Airlift Wing’s Chief of Staff he directed and coordinated all wing staff functional areas and schedules and assigned all tasks to maximize readiness and Air Force Instruction compliance. He oversaw operational, professional, and administrative aspects of the personnel assigned to the wing function. Col. Manson reviewed and ensured completion of special administrative and management items relative to the wing commander. He also served as the 152nd Maintenance Group Commander, where he was responsible for directing all aircraft and equipment maintenance support for two squadrons supporting the C-130H3 Hercules aircraft, as well as the quality and quantity of training for 240 personnel, ensuring they are prepared to perform the wing’s mission in peacetime and during combat.
Prior to his current position, the Director of Staff of the Nevada Air National Guard located at the Joint Force Headquarters in Carson City, Nevada. He serves as an advisor to The Adjutant General of Nevada, The Assistant Adjutant General for Air, and the Commander of the Nevada Air National Guard. Colonel Manson is responsible for developing and coordinating all programs, policies, and plans to ensure the wartime readiness of more than 1,125 members of the Nevada Air National Guard to include one airlift wing, one intelligence squadron, and one RPA operations squadron.
1994 Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, University of Nevada, Reno
1997 Logistics Plans Officer Course, Lackland Air Force Base, Tex.
1998 Aircraft Maintenance & Munitions Officer Course, Sheppard Air Force Base, Tex.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Reserve Components National Security Course, National Defense University
2018 Commanders Development Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
1. February 1988 – January 1997, Supply Journeyman, 152nd Logistics Readiness Squadron, Nevada Air National Guard (NVANG) Base, Reno, Nev.
2. February 1997 – May 1997, Supply Officer, 152nd Logistics Readiness Squadron, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
3. May 1997 – September 1998, Logistics Plans Officer, 152nd Airlift Wing, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
4. September 1998 – February 2002, Logistics Support Flight Commander, 152nd Logistics Group, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
5. February 2002 – June 2005, Aircraft Generation Squadron Commander, 152nd Maintenance Group, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
6. June 2005 – June 2007, Maintenance Operations Flight Commander, 152nd Maintenance Group, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
7. June 2007 – September 2009, Squadron Commander, 152nd Maintenance Squadron, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
8. July 2012 – April 2016, Wing Chief of Staff, 152nd Airlift Wing, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
9. April 2016 – March 2017, Maintenance Group Deputy Commander, 152nd Maintenance Group, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
10. March 2017 – October 2018, Group Commander, 152nd Maintenance Group, NVANG Base, Reno, Nev.
11. October 2018 – November 2019, Director of Staff – Air, Nevada Air National Guard, Carson City, Nev.
12. November 2019 – Current, Vice Wing Commander, 152nd Airlift Wing, Nevada Air National Guard Base, Nev.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. September 2009 – July 2012, Joint Director of Military Support, Joint Force Headquarters Nevada, Carson City, Nev., as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
AF Overseas Ribbon Short
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
2nd Lieutenant February 27, 1997
1st Lieutenant February 27, 1999
Captain February 27, 2001
Major February 27, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel February 11, 2011
Colonel March 31, 2017
(Current as of November 2019)