White Rectangle

Always ready; always there-Reno High Rollers recover stuck Navy aircraft

  • Published
  • By Capt. Jason Yuhasz
  • 152AW Public Affairs
A U.S. Navy C-2 Greyhound from the Fleet Logistics Support Squadron 30 (VRC-30), San Diego, became stuck in the asphalt near a commercial Fixed Base Operator (FBO) at the Reno-Tahoe International Airport on the afternoon of Wednesday, June 25th. The call went out for help, and members of the 152nd Airlift Wing promptly answered.

Personnel from the 152nd Maintenance Group, the 152nd Civil Engineer Squadron Firefighters and others went to help the stranded Navy plane.

Jeff Mello, full-time Assistant Fire Chief for the Air Guard here in Reno was the incident commander for the response by the Civil Engineer Firefighters. Mello, also a traditional Air Guard member as a Firefighter, noted and praised the work that his personnel did to help free the aircraft.

"It was a great opportunity to put our training to use. It was a combined effort, helping out a sister service," he said of the efforts of the Firefighters.

Commander of the 152nd Airlift Wing, Col. Karl Stark, was on-scene for much of the recovery. He was able to see first-hand the end result of the Wing's training efforts.

"Incidents like this allow us to quickly respond and validate our own training processes and capabilities. It also allows us to review our procedures and work on lessons learned," Stark said of the recovery of the airplane.

The 152nd Maintenance Group provided aircraft maintainers and members of its Crash Damage or Disabled Aircraft Recovery (CDDAR) team to assist. Senior Master Sgt. Jeff Goldsworthy was the senior enlisted member of the Maintenance team at the site.

"Our CDDAR team went in with good plan," Goldsworthy said. "As the situation progressed, they were also able to step back, reassess and press forward with new solutions."

The operation to free the stuck aircraft took several hours, lasting into Wednesday evening. In the end, after trying several different methods to free the plane, the team assembled by the 152nd Airlift Wing was able to retrieve the C-2 Greyhound and get it into a parking area at the FBO. The idea of it being a team effort was emphasized by Col. Stark.

"We're one team, one fight. We're honored to be able to help our shipmates," were Stark's final thoughts on the recovery by the 152nd Airlift Wing personnel.